Friday, November 21, 2008


*Sigh...*
We just received word from our client that he will not be requiring our services any more. When my fellow colleagues and I heard about this, we were devastated. I mean, how ungrateful can people be? And they give us short notice. The outsourcing company I work for has been working for this American based company for almost a year and a half, and out of the blues, these nice people decide that they don't need our services anymore. So, the deal is, we need to go for training for another account, to work for another client with a totally different product. Transition periods! Who enjoys them? I know I don't. A totally unplanned for diversion. So much happening at once. This news caught me when I was thinking of drafting a resignation letter, because I need to go to media school early next year, and the holidays are coming up, so I thought it'd be great if I had a good, long rest before the starting of next year. Then I thought that the company would need me at this time of transition.
Then I think to myself, maybe my employer is going to see me as a useless liability who's afraid of change. But let's view it from this perspective, because I'm still quitting, so don't view me as a selfish employee:
If I do decide to stay and work through the holiday, which would include three weeks of training, I'd be training for nothing, because, next year, I'll still be expected to start school. So, what point would there be in training for something I'm not even going to be around to do?
If I decide to stay, then quit in January to go to school, I'd be ruining some one's chance to get that vacancy that I'd be occupying, only to drop it after a few weeks. I don't mean to blow my horn, but that right there's being thoughtful.
Just to make it clear, I'm NOT afraid of transitions. I don't like 'em, but I'm not afraid of them. But I must say, I'm glad I don't have to go through the draining process. So, I'll have me a nice, relaxing holiday, without any boss to breathe down my neck. What? I need this rest! This year has been challenging for me, and I think I deserve this. It's not like I haven't given a lot to this company. I've been doing crazy shifts, I've worked overtime, my social life is in shambles because of this job, and I don't get enough time for the family. For instance, I get to see my mother twice a week. TWICE A WEEK! Only on my off days. (Call me "Mama's boy," or whatever. I don't care. I love my Mom).
So, I hope I'm clear about one thing, I'm not afraid of change... but I quit!

No comments: